They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it seems Santa is in the eye of the platform.
I shared this with the Range team as part of a fun 2020 countdown we’re doing, and everyone thought the rest of world might get a “ho, ho, ho” out of it too.
Hope you enjoy, and happy almost-2021!
Without further ado, here are my reviews of the various "Santa Claus" emoji as listed by emojipedia:
1. Apple - I think the white trim on Santa's hat looks very fluffy which is a big plus. I also like the twinkle in Santa's eyes, but the facial hair being the same color as the rest of his face is a little uncomfortable. I give it a 3/5 🎄🎄🎄
2. Google - The first Santa we see who has shoulders, overall very neat, very clean Santa. Feels like a smoooth Santa with a very nice smile, but the eyes are a bit like looking into the void? 4/5 🎁🎁🎁🎁 , gives a good impression if you look at the big picture, don't spend too much time gazing into his soulless eyes.
3. Samsung - Very jolly Santa! This Santa is full of life, rosy cheeks and all. I have no beef with this Santa 5/5 ✨✨✨✨✨
4. Microsoft - Here we have a BOLD Santa, a really thick outline makes him stand out. Good for him! Lower half of the face reminds me of a sheep or a cloud or a clown somehow though, but I like his hat shape, def not as droopy as some of the other Santa hats out there. A sportier look. 3/5 🎇🎇🎇
5. WhatsApp - Perhaps the most regal 👑 Santa of the bunch, I feel like I ought to refer to him exclusively as ~Father Christmas~. Quite reminiscent of the Apple Santa he has a great eye sparkle, but somehow a much more tender facial expression. This Santa's heart is open. 7/5 💝💝💝💝💝
6. Twitter - What is this!!!!!! Who is he????? He is 😐 with a Santa hat and fake beard. He's some guy at an office holiday party who was told to lighten up. He put on these props pulled from the team's costume bin as an easy convo starter and a means to avoid talking about his personal life. I thought about giving it a 0/5 but then considered maybe Santa isn't always happy. Maybe Santa has his moments too. In conclusion, I give it 1/5. ⛄
7. Facebook - Ok, everything Twitter Santa is not, FB Santa is. Wow this is an amazing Santa!!!!! I love him!!!! The expression, the beard, the chubby cheeks. Extremely dimensional, I believe in him. 10000/5 🙌 🙌 🙌 🙌 🙌
8. JoyPixels - Another Santa with shoulders, this guy does not have the time to listen to your xmas wish list. He gives you a chance to tell him about it but in the back of his mind he already knows you're not on the nice list.👀 4/5
9. OpenMoji - Santa with accessories this time, he has a bag! I like it. He also looks kind of like a lego. 5/5. 💰💰💰💰💰
10. emojidex - GREAT eyebrows and a 3/4 profile -- 4/5 🍪🍪🍪🍪
11. Messenger - Ehhhh I'm not feeling this Santa. Another 3/4 profile but facing right. Kinda feels like a posed candid shot if that makes sense. 2/5 🌠🌠
12. LG - There's a lot to unpack here which I'm not going to do. But I will say this Santa's intense, and he can see inside your soul. I guess that's a part of his responsibilities. Very mythical like the moon. 6/5. 🌚 🌝 🌚 🌝 🌚 🌝
13. HTC - This Santa is actually a polar bear wearing a Santa hat and peach-colored eye mask. Tricky tricky! but adorable. 3/5 ❆ 🐻 ❆
14. Mozilla - Kind of a stern Santa, he's thinking about all the work that needs to get done before the big night. 🌃 The hat is cute tho. 4/5 ⛄ ⛄ ⛄ ⛄
15. SoftBank - This Santa is mostly beard. I love it. Also impressive perspective with the hat tassel/puff. Kudos! 5000/5 🍪 🎄🎄🎄 ❆ 😻✨✨🙌 🌟
16. Docomo - Pringles Santa 😯😳 6/5. 😋😋😋😋😋😋
Whew! Finally the end of my listicle. One last thing I wanted to add was this recent blog post by emojipedia introducing a new addition to the Santa emoji family: the gender neutral Mx. Claus!
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏Please chime in with your own reviews of your fav Santa and/or holiday related emojis! Or literally anything else 😏